Monday, March 1, 2010

It's Soup Week: Rustic Chicken Stew

Rustic Chicken Stew: make it in your crock pot.

With so many of my friends and co-workers reporting that they are sick, I’m declaring this week ‘Soup Week.’ Chicken soup is a universal remedy for many ailments; unless you live with someone willing to make you homemade soup or make a run to the nearest deli, often your only option is canned soup.

This week’s soup recipes are simple to make. On Sundays I often make soup, keeping half of it to eat during the week and freezing the other half as individual portions. This habit ‘saves’ me from eating peanut butter and crackers on those nights when I arrive home from work hungry and don’t feel like cooking. It also lets me share my homemade soup with sick friends, new mothers, or others who may not be up for cooking, yet want to eat healthy. Enjoy!

Makes 8 servings

2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
3 medium onions, quartered
2 carrots, cut into 1-inch thick slices
2 potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 cans (14 ounces each) fat free chicken broth
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp dried thyme leaves (or powder)
½ tsp black pepper

Optional:
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup frozen peas
Any other root vegetables such as turnip, parsnip
1 14-ounce can white beans
8 ounces mushrooms, halved

1. Combine the chicken, onions, carrots, potatoes, and broth in the crock pot (if using other fresh vegetables, add at this time).
2. Stir in the celery seed, thyme, pepper, mushrooms, and corn.
3. Cover and cook on low until the chicken is done and the vegetables are tender, 7 to 9 hours or on high, 4 to 6 hours.
4. Stir in the peas and cook until they are done, 15 to 30 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Made this tonight because Catherine has a nasty cold, and it was delicious -- even though I didn't follow the recipe exactly!

    I didn't plan ahead and only decided to cook this after I got home from work, so I didn't use the slow cooker. Instead, I simmered it on the stove for about 1 1/2 hours or so. For the chicken, I threw in whole skinless, boneless breasts. After they were poached, I pulled them out and shredded them. Then I threw the shredded chicken back in and let it simmer with the veggies. Yummy!

    Now I have lunch for tomorrow. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete