Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Black Bean Salsa/Salad

This is one of my favorite summer recipes. I often make it to take to summer parties as it is easy and it gets better (spicier) the longer it sits.

The recipe evolved from two sources: a Goya ad in a magazine and a recipe in a cookbook I use frequently. The cookbook version recommended sauteing the frozen corn and the spices before mixing with other ingredients; what I learned after discovering the Goya recipe is that sauteing didn't enhance the flavor all that much. So, in the interest of simplicity (and keeping the stove off on a hot day), I eliminated that step from my version of this recipe.

What I like about this recipe is the seasoning; the chili powder and cumin give it a nice heat, which increases the longer the salsa sits. I’m known in my family as the one who makes the ‘spicy’ dishes, even thought I cut back on the cumin and chili powder when I bring this to a family gathering…    

In a large bowl combine:
2 can (about 15 oz) black beans, rinsed
3 tbsp chopped jalapeno slices
2 tsp minced garlic
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp Adobo with pepper
1 pkg (10 oz) frozen corn, thawed
1 cup diced onion
½ cup diced red bell pepper
1 large tomato, diced
3 tbsp chopped cilantro
3 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin

Serve with tortilla chips or as a side dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment