Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Vegetarian Chili

This is my favorite fall/winter ‘party’ recipe. Whether it is our annual Thanksgiving Turkey Lope* or a Christmas or Super Bowl party, this easy recipe is on the menu. Sometimes I make it the day of the party; othertimes I'll make it the day before. I usually serve it with cornbread and a green salad flavored with citrus fruit, dried cranberries, and nuts.

Modified from a recipe in Molly Katzen’s Moosewood Cookbook, I add or subtract vegetables based on what I have on hand. I often cook it in my grandmother’s cast iron dutch oven or, if I want to be less hands on, I dump all the ingredients in my 1970s crockpot.

6-8 Servings (This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled to feed a crowd.)

2 ½ cups kidney beans
1 cup raw bulgher
1 cup tomato juice
4 cloves crushed garlic

1 cup each, chopped:
  • Celery
  • Carrots
  • Green peppers



  • 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
    Juice of ½ lemon
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    1 tsp. basil
    1 tsp. chili powder (more, to taste)
    Salt and pepper
    3 Tbsp. tomato paste
    3 Tbsp. dry red wine
    Dash of cayenne (more, to taste)
    Olive oil for sauté (about 3 Tbsp.)

    Heat tomato juice to a boil. Pour over raw bulgher. Cover and let stand for at least 15 minutes. (It will be crunchy, so it can absorb more later.)

    Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil. Add carrots, celery, and spices. When vegetables are almost done, add peppers. Cook until tender.

    Combine all ingredients and heat together gently – either in pan on stove top or covered, in a moderate oven.

    Serve topped with cheese, parsley, and sour cream.

    *What's a Turkey Lope? It’s the Davidge’s annual three to five mile run with Bill or a two mile walk with Nancy to enjoy the beauty of Marblehead before a casual dinner with family and friends.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment