Sunday, December 13, 2009

Cranberry Orange Bread

For many years I made and gave Christmas cookies to co-workers: several different kinds. The past two years the cookies haven't happened until after I start my Christmas vacation; what do I give my co-workers?

When giving gifts, I try to give only things that are consumed; things that get'used up' rather than taking up space. Last year I decided to give miniloaves of quick breads: cranberry orange (a favorite since childhood - my mother's is still the best..), banana bread (quick, easy, and tasty), and pumpkin bread.

Today's recipe: Cranberry orange bread. A childhood favorite of mine. Moist, flavorful, and tasty. A Thanksgiving and Christmas staple in our house.

Cranberry orange bread

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sugar
1 orange
2 tablespoons melted butter
boiling water
1 egg
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup chopped raw cranberries

Sift first five ingredients together.
To juice and grated rind of orange, add 2 tablespoons melted shortening, and boiling water to make 3/4 cup liquid.
Add with beaten egg to dry ingredients, mix well.
Add nuts and cranberries, mix well.

Bake in standard loaf pan for 1 hour or in three or four mini loaf pans for 25-30 minutes. A toothpick inserted into center of loaf should come out clean when done.

Cool for 10 minutes, in pan, on wire rack. Run knife around edge of pan, turn breads out of pan(s) onto rack and cool completely. Wrap well. May be frozen.

1 comment: